Meanest Mommy Tech Edits: Left-brain help for right-brain people.
I am currently accepting new tech editing clients.
Technical editing knitwear patterns allows me to combine my love of knitting with my love of math and attention to detail. I can help you transform your design into a professional pattern you can be proud of and will have your customers coming back for more. Be sure that your knitting pattern is clear, consistent, and correct. I enjoy working with new designers, and I edit most knitting patterns, including socks, shawls, hats, and baby garments. I do not edit brioche, knitted toys, or crochet patterns at this time.
A typical tech edit includes checking for:
- All necessary parts of the pattern – sizing, gauge, needles, yarn, directions, abbreviations, etc.
- Correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Consistency throughout the pattern, including a check against your style sheet if you have one.
- Abbreviations and their definitions.
- Pattern clarity.
- Math – stitch counts, repeats, measurements, and other calculations.
- Agreement between directions, charts, measurements, gauge, pictures, and schematics.
- Generating charts and keys using Stitch Mastery.
- Generating written instructions from charts and vice versa.
- Writing pattern directions to make them clear and understandable.
How it works: You email me a pdf of your pattern, and I point out errors and inconsistencies so you can correct them. (I can turn your MS Word or MS Publisher document into a pdf if necessary.) I make suggestions, but the final edit choices are always up to you. My service includes a final check of your pattern to make sure desired changes have been incorporated and it is ready for publication.
Turnaround: My typical turnaround time is 1 – 2 weeks. I am open to quicker jobs with a rush fee if my schedule allows. Please ask.
Rates: $35/hour (with a half hour minimum), invoiced through Paypal. I will need to see your pattern to give you an accurate quote. The edit is always tailored to your needs. I will only spend time on the edits you want me to do. If you only need me to review part of a pattern or just a chart, just ask.
Typical time to tech edit:
- Simple accessories – .75 hrs – 1.5 hr
- Complex accessories – 1.5 hr – 3 hrs
- Simple garments – 2.5 – 3.5 hrs
- Complex garments – 4 – 6 hrs
Testimonials from some of my clients: Click on the Client Testimonials page.
Contact info: Contact me by filling out the form on this page, and I will get back to you within one to two business days (possibly sooner).