Meanest Mommy Tech Edits: Left-brain help for right-brain people.
I am currently accepting new tech editing clients.
Technical editing knitwear patterns allows me to combine my love of knitting with my love of math and attention to detail. I can help you transform your design into a professional pattern you can be proud of and will have your customers coming back for more. Be sure that your knitting pattern is clear, consistent, and correct. I enjoy working with new designers, and I edit most knitting patterns, including socks, shawls, hats, and baby garments. I do not edit crochet patterns at this time.
A typical tech edit includes checking for:
- All necessary parts of the pattern – sizing, gauge, needles, yarn, directions, abbreviations, etc.
- Correct use of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Consistency throughout the pattern, including a check against your style sheet if you have one.
- Abbreviations and their definitions.
- Pattern clarity.
- Math – stitch counts, repeats, measurements, and other calculations.
- Agreement between directions, charts, measurements, gauge, pictures, and schematics.
- Generating charts and keys using Stitch Mastery.
- Generating written instructions from charts and vice versa.
- Pattern layout.
- Writing pattern directions to make them clear and understandable.
How it works: You email me a pdf of your pattern, and I point out errors and inconsistencies so you can correct them. (I can turn your MS Word or MS Publisher document into a pdf if necessary.) I make suggestions, but the final edit choices are always up to you. My service includes a final check of your pattern to make sure desired changes have been incorporated and it is ready for publication.
Turnaround: My typical turnaround time is 1 – 2 weeks. I am open to rush jobs if my schedule allows. Please ask.
Rates: $25/hour (with a quarter hour minimum), invoiced through Paypal. I will need to see your pattern to give you an accurate time estimate (with a rate cap). The edit is always tailored to your needs. I will only spend time on the edits you want me to do. If you only need me to review part of a pattern or just a chart, just ask.
Basic Once-Over Option: $15.00. If you don’t need a full tech edit, but just want a second set of eyes on the pattern to look for glaring errors, typos, or missing sections, this is the option for you. (This does not include checking math, stitch counts, or charts.)
Typical time to tech edit:
- Simple accessories – .75 hrs – 1.25 hr
- Complex accessories – 1.25 hr – 2.5 hrs
- Simple garments – 1.5 – 2.5 hrs
- Complex garments – 2.5 – 5 hrs
Testimonials from some of my clients: Click on the Client Testimonials page.
Contact info: Contact me by filling out the form on this page, and I will get back to you within one to two business days (possibly sooner).